Addiction Recovery Life Skills: Time ManagementDr. Collins
Addiction Recovery Life Skills: Time Management
Addiction recovery isn’t just about step work and group therapy. As important as these things are and as much as they benefit there are other things that you need to learn when you are on your journey as well. At Artesian we feel that one of the most powerful tools that anyone can learn is to boost their time management.
Time management is a tricky concept for some. You might have noticed that some people seem to get a lot more done during a day than you do. We’ve noticed that those who suffer with addiction have a particularly difficult time managing their time effectively. We’ve made it one of our goals to help our guests through this process and give them the power of time management.
Here are our top tips and tricks to getting the most out of your time.
- To Do Lists: This might seem silly, or even like it takes up time you don’t need to spend but trust us, making a list of what you need or want to get done can really help to boost your time management skills. Don’t just stick to the to do list however, when you get off course make sure you note that down as well, it will help you to understand where you are spending your time and decide if that’s the choice you really want to make.
- Getting Your Priorities In Order: Prioritizing is an important life skill. It can mean the difference in meeting your goals or missing them. Start small think about the things that you need to get done and make them the first priority, then think about things you want to get done and understand which is most important to you. This extra step makes you decide where you want to spend your time.
- Aim For The Outcome: If you think about time like currency you don’t want to spend your money on things that you don’t really want. You’d rather save up and make sure that you get something you will really enjoy. Time is sort of the same thing. If you spend it doing things that don’t move you towards the results you want your left without enough time to meet your goals.
- Get Focused: In a world that is so connected and driven by technology it can be very easy to lose focus. On something that you can do for yourself is to simply unplug for a while. When you are working on something turn off your phone, don’t get on the internet, leave the TV off and just simply focus on the task at hand. You’ll find that without all the distraction you’ll be able to get your project done a whole lot faster.
- Be Realistic: Goals can be powerful things, but if you set them too high you’ll never do anything but frustrate yourself. Try making smaller goals, like today you won’t check your social media until you’ve gotten something accomplished. This lets you meet your goals, while still staying on task.
Life happens, and often not the way that you want. So as much as you can manage your time and plan ahead understand that sometimes, something comes up and that’s okay. Make a backup plan so that you can still finish what needs to get done.
The most successful people in life have mastered time management, and if you put your mind to it you can easily become one of them.